About Istanbul Ex-libris Museum
Prof. Dr. Hasip Pektas
The first Ex-libris Museum in Turkey was held in Istanbul in 2008. It was established under the auspices of Prof. Dr. Süleyman Saim Tekcan within the body of IMOGA Graphic Arts Museum. Later, the ex-libris collection extracted from IMOGA. It has been preserved for a long time in Prof. Dr. Hasip Pektaş’s office in Işık University Faculty of Fine Arts . In 2014, the museum was created for the second time at Işık University with the interest and support of Prof. Dr. Nafiye Güneç Kıyak and Prof. Dr. Şirin Tekinay. This valuable collection of the Istanbul Ex-libris Society was exhibited at the Faculty of Fine Arts in Maslak. Preparations have also been made to obtain the approval of the Ministry of Culture, but the rectors resigned from their posts before they could gain the official museum identity. The lack of interest of the next administration and the President of the Istanbul Ex-libris Society, Prof. Dr. Hasip Pektaş left the university, the collection was removed from the university in 2017 with the decision of the association’s board of directors. Işık University was awarded with Prof. Dr. Hasip Pektaş has filed a lawsuit against. The court continues and 12,000 ex-libris subject to the case are kept in a warehouse.
Istanbul Ex-libris Museum was held for the third time and permanently in 2019 by Selçuk Ecza Holding with the welcoming of the Chairman of the Board of Directors M. Sonay Gürgen. On 15.09.2020, it gained the status of “Special Ex-libris Museum“ with the approval of the Ministry of Culture and Tourism.
Besides its wide range of services in the pharmaceutical industry, Selçuk Ecza Deposu makes valuable contributions to education with its educational buildings and to culture with its cultural centers. With this awareness of social responsibility, Selçuk Ecza has also made an important contribution to the art of ex-libris, which has just started to be recognized in our country in 2018. It hosted the international ex-libris contest on “pharmacy, medicine and human health” under the leadership of Istanbul Ex-libris Society President Prof. Dr. Hasip Pektaş. With the ex-libris sent to the contest, a copy of the Ex-libris Contest organized by Northern Cyprus Eastern Mediterranean University and Poland Silesia University in 2019 added to this small collection. In case the case is won, also 12,000 ex-libris will be added.
Established as one of the 10 museums in the world, Istanbul Ex-libris Museum will surely live with the contributions of Selçuk Ecza Deposu and Istanbul Ex-libris Society; It will become a cultural center in the context of recognition, dissemination and development of exlibris in our country.
With this collection of 900 ex-libris for now, 250 books and catalogs will serve as a source for those who have researched the subject of ex-libris.
The aims of the Istanbul Ex-libris Museum are;
1. Sharing the exlibris, registering for the future, creating and preserving our cultural heritage and making the exlibris accessible to art lovers easily,
2. To enlarge this collection by adding new ex-librises to this collection, which is valuable enough to attract the attention of visitors of all ages,
3. To enable students from all levels of educational institutions in Turkey to visit the museum and participate in workshops and become new representatives of this art,
4. To provide training opportunities for artists and designers to prepare for international ex-libris competitions,
5. To give seminars / conferences for those who want to learn, apply and evaluate exlibris and to organize workshops for those who are interested.
6. To create opportunities for cultural enrichment.